Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dining Room

I am so pleased with how the dining room turned out. I absolutely love it! Here are a few pictures.


The chair rail and crown molding turned out great! It was just what I had pictured. I am glad that we didn't do beadboard.



And now for the next project: THE KITCHEN


Don't worry, that deer head isn't still on the refrigerator. This is an old picture. Now I know this house is brand new and I shouldn't be complaining about it, but I am not a huge fan of this kitchen. The SS appliances are great and I like the countertop color. My biggest issue is the oak cabinets. I am not a big fan of oak. It just speaks of the '80s to me! The combination of the oak cabinets and the oak floor is just too much. I once referred to this kitchen as a "wad of oak". If it was up to me and we were going to be here for longer these cabinets would turn black. I love the sleek, modern look of dark, dark cabinets. A better compromise might be doing some black and leaving others natural. Just in case you are having a hard time picturing this, here is a photo.


Isn't it gorgeous? I would do something like that but I have a problem with symmetry. I like everything to be symmetrical and the cabinets in our kitchen aren't the same on both sides of the stove. It's enough to drive me crazy. So since all of my dreams won't be coming true for this kitchen I am going to do some more subtle changes. My plans are to paint the toe-kick black and to do black crown molding on the top of the cabinets. I am also working of convincing Josh to let me paint the end panel and back of the cabinet that angles out. Basically anywhere oak cabinet meets oak floor will become black. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have ideas for a backsplash too so any advice about that would be great!

6 comments:

...Laura... said...

I hate oak cabinets with an oak floor too! You have great style. It would look so pretty all black, but I think you have some great ideas with the trim. If the back and sides of that island were black, I think it would really help to break it up. Good luck!!

The Reese's said...

love the dining room! i turned out so cute, and i love the black and natural cupboards together. definately something that i would do. :)

Montana Brandts said...

The dining room turned out awesome! I love it! Don't you just want to sit in there all the time and admire the good work you did? That's what I like to do when I finish a project! I couls sit and stare at it forever! I'm weird I know! I love it... you have an awseome eye for decorating want to come help me out? I love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow Sal, that's a lotta oak! How about staining the cabinets a darker (lots darker) color? Love, Auntie Penn

california smiths said...

Looks so good! Quite the talent for decorating you have!

J@y kr{}LL said...

the dining room looks great!! :D thanks for the care package too. I was really excited and actually needed everything there. luv you tons---Jay