Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fever, really!?!

I really thought Annabelle was going to finish out her treatments with no issues, and to be honest I was getting a little bored/anxious.  I kept looking forward to each of her lab draws to see when she would be able to start the next round of chemo.  Things were pretty low key for quite a while.  I should have enjoyed that instead of dreading it.

Last weekend as Annabelle was being discharged from the hospital after her last 5 day chemo, Bev called and told me that Layla woke up in the night with a horrible barking cough that left her gagging and gasping.  I guess it was pretty bad and gave them a good scare.  I got her an appointment later that morning and Bev took her in to the Dr and he confirmed that she had croup.  She was put on a steroid to keep her airway open and then sent home.  Of course with Annabelle's fragile immune system, she could not get near Layla!  They were both heartbroken and I was torn between my two girls!  I was the only one that hadn't been exposed to Layla and whatever she had so I was the one to stay with Annabelle, but at the same time Layla was sick and just wanted and needed her mommy.  I hated it!  That about did me in emotionally.  What an exhausting week.

Then, the past few days Annabelle just hasn't been feeling that well.  She would say "I just don't feel good" all the time.  I knew her counts were low so I attributed it to that.  However, last night just before bed she spiked a fever.  You'd think I would be used to the whole fever and neutropenia thing since we have been through that a dozen times before, but it was so frustrating to me.  She hasn't gotten a fever the past few rounds so I guess you could say I was a little disappointed when the thermometer read 101.8!  I immediately packed our bags and we were off to PCMC.

It takes several hours spent in the ER before we actually get admitted to ICS so I didn't even get in bed until 3:30 this morning.  I just can't believe we used to do this every round.  How did I manage to survive that!?!  I guess I'm just on major burnout now as we are so close to the end.  Annabelle's ANC and platelets are still too low so she won't be starting her last round of chemo tomorrow as originally scheduled.  :(  We'll see what her counts look like tomorrow and once she is fever free for 24 hours she will be discharged and set up with a new admit date for her final round.  We will get to that finish line.  It WILL happen.

1 comment:

Grandma Kroll said...

I hate fevers!! She looks so fragile. I can not wait for this to be done for all of you! Chin up and take one day at a time. You are all in our prayers every min. of every day.